Captains log: stardate 20126.2
I am currently sitting at my desk in my quasi arctic feeling room, listening to some dub step and trying to concentrate... Apparently it is not working... because I can not concentrate. I have a lot I want to get done today, so here goes. It's been a while since I have written, and this is not because of a lack of passing events. No, I think it's more likely the result of a settling into a more routine pattern of life.
It's five forty five am, and the gentle rhythmic sound of our digital alarm clock radio announcing the start of a new day, greets our resting minds, prompting a quick slap from Kim's hand, to the top of it's plastic head. We take a five minute break from the waking process, and just lay there. We lay there drifting in and out of a semi conscious wakened state, hoping for an additional hour under the down comforter with eyes closed, before we are forced to step out of our front door and embrace the the downpour of rain that is sure to greet us as we slip into the darkened streets and travel through the concrete rainforests of Puerto Montt.
No sense in delaying the inevitable, so I pry my foot loose from underneath the warm covers and poke it out into the open air to gauge how quickly I will have to sprint to the closet to slip on something a bit warmer than my skibbies to avoid bodily hypodermic lock up. Then it's off to start the heater in the bathroom, power up the coffee maker and start the fire with what little coals are hopefully left over from last night. By the time Kim hits the bathroom, maybe the heater will have cut the cold to where she no longer see the mist of her breath upon exhaling.
We chug down our mugs of precious black liquid and head out the door by six forty five, to what ever blessings the elements may shower us with. We stand patiently under a dimly lit street lamp, watching for an elusive micro, to poke it's grinning metallic face with glowing halogen eyes and wooden signboards announcing it's final destination, around the bend in the road. If we are lucky, we only have to wait a couple of minutes, but there is always that one day.... that one day where every micro that passes, is either not heading in the right direction, or is so packed to the brim with morning commuters, that it fly's by with out even giving a second glance, to a couple of soaking wet gringos, frantically waving arms in desperation.
I am the fortunate one in this story though. Once Kim is safely aboard an East bound Micro, I head back into our quiet apartment, and spend the next few hours doing laundry, washing up dishes, reading, and practicing my Spanish skills. "Hombre de la casa", as I am affectionately known by a handful of friends and acquaintances. (Man of the house) At nine-ish, I grab a micro myself and head North, as far as that micro will take me. Then it's up the hill by foot dodging taxis and rabid guard dogs as I make my way to "my job". It's not a "paid" position, but I get paid in full, with a mentally exhausting day of trying to understand and complete the tasks given me, by my Chilean bosses. Did I mention... No comprendo Espanol?
No, it's all good. I am enjoying working alongside a welder, (aside from the occasional clothing fire), assembling window bars for the guy who has been helping me out and showing me the ropes in the world of construction in Chile. I am learning a lot and even though I only understand roughly fifty percent, I am sure this experience is really furthering my language skills. On my days off, I like to slip over to the Island and continue working on the pathway, and planting trees and such.
In the evening Kim and I reunite on the home front around six o'clock. We light a fire, and depending on the hunger levels, we may whip up something fiery spicy to eat, or just have some bread heavily coated with manjar or nutella and a hot beverage. Then there is the telling of the days events, the grading of papers, the watching of movies, and of course let's not forget the new obsession of playing "words with friends". Before you know it, it's 10:30 and the familiar nagging voice of a sleepy husband creeps onto the scene.. "Wow babe, it's 10:30 already, it's gonna be five forty five before we know it!!" Prompting the reoccurring battle between the night owl and the early bird. We are busy creatures. I think it's in our blood
Life is challenging but good, days are long but filled with new experiences, and did I mention that it rains a lot here? but that only makes the sunny days more awesome! We are surrounded by family and friends abroad and new family and friends here. We are so thankful for the support of our parents, they have been amazing and we really have been blessed. Thank you every one, for praying for us, thinking of us and sending us delightful boxes of goodies! We miss all of you back North. Enjoy the summer y'all!
I'm tired just reading about your day! Thanks for writing.
ReplyDelete~Momi
Thanks for writing about your day in Chile. I enjoyed the post! I will know better how to pray. ~Ruthie for the Kauffman's
ReplyDelete