Well winter is almost here, and you know what that means. Time to
jump on a seaworthy vessel, and head South, to the Islands. On Wednesday
morning last week Mike, Zach, Christina and I loaded up our backpacks,
grabbed the the old Stihl chainsaw, topped off our tanks, and made a
quick grocery store run. We were headed to the Island of Tabon to chop
up some firewood for a Chilean missionary family that is living there.
Antonio, Alejandra, Timateo and Ezequiel. Antonio has been suffering
with back troubles, so we thought we could take care of some tree
trimmin and log splittin.
We arrived at the dock
around five o'clock and loaded up our supplies on an oxen cart and set
out on foot across the island. Tabon doesn't currently have electricity,
but if you have money for a generator and diesel fuel, you may have
functioning light bulbs in the evening. I am told however, that the
island should have a big generator so that everyone can have electric,
by the end of this year. We enjoyed "onces" ( literally "elevens" light
meal, usually breads with spreads and coffee or tea) with the family,
then Mike and Zach headed to the tip of the island to stay with an other
family. Did I mention the apple and rose hip marmalade she made? So
good! Christina and I were left to fend for ourselves. We helped with
some chores around the house and around eight we had dinner by candle
light.
Now currently my Spanish is very limited, but
after Christiana went to bed I hung around helping Timateo with his
English homework, and then chatted with Antonio and Alejandra for an
hour or so. Whether they were just being nice, or truly being honest,
they encouraged me by telling me how well I was conversing with them. I
knew there was a full day of swinging an axe ahead of me, so we said our
buenos noches, blew out the candles and hit the hay.
The stars are bright and numerous, and with out much competition, at
three in the morning on a trip to the outhouse. Despite the fact that I
could see my breath and feel the morning chill in my fingertips, I still
couldn't help but stand there and gaze up at the vast expanse of
glimmering dots and hazy swirls lining the darkened heavenly ceiling.
Why not get up at six, right? So I can take one more look before
daybreak. No actually to give my baby, Kim, a call and wish her a good
start to her workday. She is amazing you know! Then back to the sleeping
bag to wait for the rest to wake up.
I brought some wood in for the fireplace and drew
some water from the well, then we had a breakfast of bread and coffee.
(of course there was some marmalade too) After we ate, I started
splitting some logs, and Antonio said "Courtlyn, Christina... follow
me." Some words were thrown around, for which I only understood a few,
and when I asked Christina for a translation, she said.." I think we're
gonna butcher something"
Upon arriving at the
neighbors house and seeing a man sharpening a knife, I concluded that
this translation must be correct. Antonio then explained to me what was
going down (in Spanish) and after some sign language, an interpretive
dance and my brains partial understanding, I realized that we would be
castrating a pig. Definitely a first for me. (which brought a few
chuckles smiles to the locals) Fortunately there were enough hands on
deck, that Christina and I could stand idly by and not get our feet wet,
so to speak. It was over before we knew it.
Mike and Zach showed up and they started chain
sawing. They trimmed off a couple of large branches of a giant pine
tree, while I kept busy with the axe. After a days worth of sweaty
satisfying work, we took an evening walk down the beach as the tide was
going out. A beautiful sunset indeed. The next day we had an early boat
to catch back to the mainland, so we went to bed promptly. Nothing like a
brisk walk across an Island without lights, in darkness at six thirty
in the morning.
It was a short trip, but full of good
experiences. I really enjoyed everything. I am reminded to be thankful
for all the things I have right at my fingertips. Running water,
electricity, a shower, indoor plumbing, jobs to earn a buck, prepackaged
grilling meat, transportation, paved roads, a welcoming family, the
amazing beauty of creation, apple rose hip marmalade, the list goes on.
Thank you God for all of your blessings.
P.S. Alejandra sent me home with a large zucchini and a delicious jar of apple rose hip marmalade. mmm mmm mmm!
Wow, you are experiencing a lot! Thanks for keeping us up to date!
ReplyDelete~momi y papi
Courtlyn, you are a great writer, sharing your experiences. How interesting...thanks. Rhoda
ReplyDelete